Many thanks to all who turned out for our 2015 AGM, held in York’s Railway Institute. Key points from a very productive meeting:
- It’s been a remarkable year! Thanks were expressed to all of our volunteers and ride leaders, to the Friends of York Rally supporters club members and to the exhibitors, traders, suppliers, council officials, performers, inventors, club representatives and everyone else who worked with us to put on the 2015 event. There has been lots of positive feedback.
- The Rally is in good shape financially, having made a profit in 2015. We resolved to continue to run a very tight ship for at least the next two years until we have built up a financial cushion sufficient to give us peace of mind against, for example, a last-minute event cancellation.
- The committee resolved to start the process of changing the York Rally to a CIO (Charitable Incorporated Organisation) – in other words, a charity. We will be taking the helpful advice from the York CVS to help us through this process. This will aid in fundraising, and will also limit personal liability of committee members.
- We are delighted that Jude Ainsworth has agreed to take on the vital role of Volunteer Co-ordinator. This is a key role in helping everything run smoothly at the event.
- We are delighted to also welcome Dylan Thomas (of York’s Poetry in Motion Cycles) to the organising committee.
- But we still have the following vacancies! If anyone would like to step forward for any of these, please contact us on email@example.com:
- Fire officer
- Safety officer
- Security officer
- Youth Activities co-ordinator
- Charity Ride co-ordinator (we would like to attract newcomers to the Rally, and raise some funds for a good, high-profile local cause , by hosting a ride in aid of the Martin House Children’s Hospice)
The AGM was followed by a ‘normal’ committee meeting. More good news:
- We have an email from the council at last (after many months of negotiation) confirming that we can use the central area which was fenced off last year for our grasstrack racing. This will make a huge difference, meaning the site layout will make so much more sense!
- The first few campsite bookings are in, taking advantage of super-earlybird prices until 31st Dec 2015!
- A system for bulk-emailing newsletters will be in action shortly, so reminders to last year’s campers, updates for Friends and to those who have signed up by entering their email address on the website will be going out soon! If you are not yet signed up, you can do so on the website front page.
- We are already starting to book marquees, showers etc. where suppliers require plenty of notice.
- It was noted that while our 2016 dates (18-19th June) clash with the Eroica Brittania event, they avoid a clash with the 2016 British Cycling Road Race Championships which take place in Stockton-on-Tees from the 23rd to 26th June. All the more reason for cyclists and spectators to come to the North East for a run of great events. We also hope that many racers will want to join us on the grasstrack for a warm-up!
Our next meeting will be held at 10 AM on Saturday 30th January 2016, and as ever all are welcome, especially newcomers. We are trying a new venue: Cycle Heaven in Hospital Field’s Road, York have kindly offered to host us free of charge in the meeting room next to the cafe in their huge new shop. This venue is a little way from the station, so we will be arranging lifts for anyone arriving on foot – please just contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.