The 2015 York Rally had more ‘official’ rides than any previous event which the (long serving) organisers can remember. See the 2015 list here. Let’s see if we can beat that record for 2016! Do please contact our Rides Co-ordinator Gary if you could lead or organise a ride!
This page lists rides running from the 2016 Rally, ranging from family friendly pootles to evening pub rides to all-day adventures into the Yorkshire Moors and Dales.
Unless otherwise mentioned, there is no need to register in advance on any of these led rides, and participation is free. Just turn up on the day! Departure locations will be clearly marked on site, in the show programme and here online nearer the time.
Friday 17th June:
- 6.30 PM: Sustrans evening pub ride with fish&chips on the way! Leader Peter Huxford, a local volunteer Sustrans Ranger, says “Pub Ride with Fish and Chips, along the Solar System Greenway and quiet country lanes. Lights needed.” Route here.
- 7.40pm: Evening pub ride to the Carlton Tavern, Holgate, York. Short ride to this nearby (less than two miles away) pub. As with all evening rides, you MUST be equipped with working lights. Leader is Darren Sables. Route online here.
Saturday 18th June
- 8.30am – ‘A ride’ – all day ride. The theme of the ride is ‘Round the
Battlefields’, and will be going as far as Towton. It will
be about 47 miles. Route here. Leader: Graham Lawrance.
- 8.40am – ‘B’ Ride to Ripon, 66 miles, led by Sally Raines. All-day ride with two breaks, return about 4PM. Route here.
- 9.00am – ‘C’ ride – destination Easingwold – leader Gary Knighton. 41 miles. Route here.
- 9.00am – Audax ride 100k (pre registration required, for which there will be a small charge). Details here at Audax UK. Route here.
- 9.10am – ‘Fast 60’ – destination Fridaythorpe – leader Lynn Bland. View the route online here.
- 9.20am – ‘E ride’ – Easy slow/ family ride to Riccall, leader Steve Hedges. Riccall Methodist Church will be open for refreshments! Route here.
- 10 AM: Sustrans super easy “Eco” family ride to Naburn “Traffic free eco ride to Naburn along the Solar System Greenway with stops to see York’s unique iridescent Tansy Beetles and Urban Buzz’s wild flowers. Mid morning coffee and cakes at Brunswick Organic Nursery Café. Visit www.yorkgreenways.org for more info and video.”
- 11:30 AM: Sustrans slightly longer ride This will be on the ‘Way of the Roses’ going to the National Trust’s Beningborough Hall, 9 miles each way – largely off road but with a couple of miles on road. The start is timed to be there for lunch, return around 3:30PM. Route map here.
- 1.30pm – RSF Ride – off road. Destination Dunnington & beyond – leader Rob Newton. About 20 miles using cycle tracks, bridleways and quiet roads. Route here.
- 6.00pm – ‘VV’ Pub Ride – mostly traffic free. Out only, about five miles. Destination: Blacksmith’s Arms, Naburn. Leader: Howard Yeomans. Route here.
- 8:45am – Church service ride to Naburn. Mostly traffic free. An all age worship service will take place at St Matthew’s, Naburn, at 9:30 AM. There will be a marshalled ride back after the service. Route here. Gather opposite Rally on cycle path across the horseracing track – see map in programme. More details and 2015 pictures here. Leader Paul Reid.
- 10.00am – RSF Ride -off road – destination ‘Pluto’, Riccall – leader Geoff Smith. About 8 miles each way. Route here.
- 11:30 AM: Café Cycling Ride to Naburn (kindly hosted by York Bike Belles).
They say: “Join York Bike Belles for a leisurely jaunt down the Greenway to explore the cafes of Naburn – one at Brunswick Organic Nursery, a Trust Hut and the cafe at Naburn Marina by the river. We obviously don’t have to stop at them all! Please
ensure your bike is greenway-worthy and that all children are accompanied by an adult.” Route here. More info on the Bike Belles at www.facebook.com/yorkbikebelles
- 12:15am – Sustrans Velodrome ride – Ride to York’s new Sports Village, including a chance to ride on the velodrome for an hour, at a cost of £5 each, to be paid in cash at the velodrome via ride participant Darren Sables. The velodrome require helmets to be worn. There is also a cafe at the Sports Village. 5 miles or so each way. Route here. Route back is along the Foss Island Greenway via St Nicks Environment Centre: www.stnicks.org.uk
All Sustrans rides listed are led by a trained ride leader. All children must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Riders will be issued with a map of the route and will have the option of spending more time at any of the attractions visited.
- Self-guided rides are also very popular at the Rally – just head out with your friends! If you’re short of ideas iTravel York have 8 free route sheets to download… and the York CTC have a helpful list of cyclist-friendly cafes.
- For gentle, largely traffic free self-guided rides, check out the routes developed by Sustrans as part of their Slow Tour of Yorkshire. Two of them start very close to the Rally site:
- York to Naburn is just five flat miles each way, almost entirely on an old railway line and going past the scale model solar system. You can join it between Points 3 and 4 on the free PDF map direct from the Rally site. Several of the short rides listed above will also use some or all of this route.
- York to Beningbrough Hall is a little longer at nine miles each way, but again it’s largely off road and flat. Start point on the map is York train station, just a few minutes’ ride from the Rally via Sustrans Route 65.
Anybody wishing to check out the latest ride information is very welcome to follow the latest updates at @YorkRallyRides on Twitter. Please do not be offended if we don’t follow you back – this account will only be following a few relevant people and organisations who are involved with day/touring rides, to reduce the ‘noise’ usually associated with Twitter.
This page will be updated regularly with the latest details.
Finally, anybody wishing to lead or assist with rides (backmarkers and group leaders for rides with larger numbers) is invited to express an interest by emailing the Rides Co-ordinator on: firstname.lastname@example.org.