In just three weeks from today the first volunteers will be on site on the Knavesmire in York, starting to lay out the campsite and set everything up ahead of the York Rally 2023 weekend, which starts in earnest when the campsite opens at 4pm on Friday the 23rd June.
We must close advance bookings for the campsite in just two weeks, on the 16th June – so for slightly lower prices and to be sited with friends or club-mates, please do get that campsite pitch booked. Otherwise, of course you are always welcome to just turn up and book a campsite pitch on the day – we’ll never run out of space.
Meanwhile our all-volunteer team has been hard at work…
- All tables for the Saddlebag Sale cycle jumble (on the Sunday morning of the Rally) have now sold out.
- Bands have been booked! We’ll have the Sonics back with rock and roll on Saturday morning, and last year’s favourite Linda J will be back in the evening playing at the end of the bar area. She’s bringing bassist John again and also fellow guitar/vocalist Helen, together making up The Beatroots. Although not billed as an Open Mic this year, Linda says there’ll be plenty of songs to sing along with!
- Behind the scenes our volunteers have been negotiating the tricky waters of council event requirements – things like risk assessments, first aid and security. As part of that, we’ve been undertaking anti-terrorism training (!) and we have been asked by Police to note that visitors to the Rally should be aware that random bag searches may be carried out at any time during the event.
- As ever, we’ve left organising the talks programme rather late and still have some gaps to fill. If anyone would like to present a tour report, promote a book or explore cycling’s rich heritage to fellow Rally-goers, please just drop a note to email@example.com – many thanks!
- Huge thanks to our new Trade Show co-ordinator who has put together a strong showing of exhibitors for 2023! Please support these traders, who support the Rally…
- And catering is all firming up too – as usual there’ll be a variety of food and drink on offer on site, from when the campsite first opens all through the weekend. Please do give these traders your custom – we need them back and part of everything you spend supports the Rally!
We can’t wait to welcome everyone to the Knavesmire once again! Meanwhile, until we see you there, we wish you safe and enjoyable cycling!
The all-volunteer York Rally Committee