As welcome signs of spring weather herald happy cycling ahead, it’s less than two months go go until the next York Cycle Rally! We’re very much looking forward to seeing many of you once again on the Knavesmire in June.
Book your pitch: earlybird campsite booking discounts close at end of April
There’s just a week or so to go if you’d like to benefit from earlybird pricing on the York Rally campsite! So if you haven’t already, please do book your campsite pitch now – the reduced pitch prices are available only until the 30th April!
Book your campsite pitch now!
Rides – what’s new for 2023
Our all-volunteer Rides team has been working hard to build out the rides schedule, so that groups stay manageable – but this does require more volunteer ride leaders and back markers. All volunteers for this will be fully covered by the Rally insurance. Please do contact Yvonne on firstname.lastname@example.org if you could help as either a leader or back marker!
There are also two other updates:
(1) Pre-registration for faster departures
New for 2023: To help us streamline rider registration and to get the led rides away on time, if you can, please register in advance for led rides at Rally HQ.
Rides are all free of charge to join, and you are still very welcome to just turn up for them, but we do need to record a few basic details for safety and insurance purposes – so if you possibly can, please provide your details at Rally HQ least 30 minutes before the ride is due to depart.
This will significantly speed up ride departures. Thank you from the all-volunteer York Rally Rides team.
(2) Aldwark Bridge is closed
Anyone cycling to the Rally from the North or West should be aware that Aldwark Bridge is closed for maintenance from April to October, so this crossing of the River Ure will be out of action for the York Rally period. Sustrans has provided some suggestions for diversion routes. For anyone not familiar, the bridge in question is off to the north west of York:
Please donate unwanted cycling items to support the Rally
A reminder that we very much welcome the donation of your spare cycling items to help raise funds for the Rally, a never-ending task! Anything realistically sellable will be sold by the Rally team at the Saddlebag Sale or Cycle Auction. For other items too good to throw away we will again have a space near the enclosure fence where items can be left for re-homing to fellow Rally-goers, with just a request for a donation towards Rally funds if you take something.
- Please bring your donations to Rally HQ before 10AM on Sunday morning.
- If you’d like to donate a complete bike, please bring it to HQ before 10AM on Saturday, so that we can enter it into the auction.
Any items left over will be donated to a local cycling charity.
- If anyone would like some 2023 York Rally A5 flyers to distribute to potential Rally-goers or at events, please just drop an email including your postal address to email@example.com and we’ll get some in the post to you ASAP!
- Apologies, in the last newsletter the wrong brewery was named! The 2023 York Rally bar will in fact again be run by the fine people at Caps Off – they did a fine job last year and will, we hope, be a regular Rally supplier!
- Please do also check out the history page on the York Rally website where we’re recently uploaded scans of York Rally pennants from the very early days of the event – way back in the 1950s!
- Join us on social media! This item about pennants, and other updates, was also shared on the Friends of York Rally Facebook group – anyone on Facebook is most welcome to join this community, and also to follow the York Rally Facebook page which we use mainly for updates and announcements. Of course, we’re also on Twitter … and any sharing/re-tweeting to help spread the word about the Rally is always most welcome!
Meanwhile, until we see you in June, we wish you safe and enjoyable cycling!
The all-volunteer York Rally Committee